wrapper scripts

Ted Gould ted at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 20 13:30:35 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-08-20 at 11:24 +0200, Michael Zanetti wrote:

> On 19.08.2015 17:23, Loïc Minier wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 10:37 PM, Seth Arnold <seth.arnold at canonical.com
> > <mailto:seth.arnold at canonical.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     ld-linux.so.2 will use directories in DT_RUNPATH dynamic section
> >     attribute, which support several variables, $ORIGIN and $PLATFORM look
> >     most useful. See ld.so(8) for details. This might avoid the need for
> >     wrappers entirely.
> >

> > Good points; I had proposed using chrpath in a previous discussion, but
> > had totally forgotten about $ORIGIN.
> >
> > We probably still need the wrappers to find the right binary for this or
> > that architecture though.
>
> Again, with click there's no need for those at all any more. It sets up
> the environment in a way that it picks the right lib/<arch-triplet>/bin/
> folder. Unless there's some other problem with this that I'm not aware
> of, I think (from an app dev POV) this has been an elegant solution.

That's not really a click thing as much as UAL sets up the environment
for the application. The core launcher can do that as well, and probably
should. I don't think that long term it makes as much sense to write
actual wrappers to /apps/bin as much as make the core launcher smarter.
And once we start doing higher level apps we'll have the core-launcher
and UAL work together, so for apps it'll be mostly transparent.

I think we need to figure out the default environment discussion (on
snappy list) before we can quite see how binaries (if we have a custom
shell I think they should be renamed to commands) will work.

Ted