wrapper scripts

Loïc Minier loic.minier at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 18 08:53:23 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 10:09 AM, Simon Eisenmann <simon at struktur.de> wrote:

> Snapcraft wrappers only set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the arch which was
> used where snapcraft is run.

> This is not sufficient to create multi arch snaps with snapcraft. The
> wrappers need to detect the arch where the wrapper is run and then set
> the path accordingly.
>
> Moreover to have multi arch support there also needs to be some way to
> have the same binary for multiple architectures.

Oh yes, there is still work to do in snapcraft for dealing with multiple
target architectures or simple cross-builds. I'd add that we should also
support biarch for folks running 32-bits x86 binaries on x86-64 – I ran in
a case where the same snap would have to run 64-bits and 32-bits utilities.
For now, this can be worked around by running snapcraft on different
architectures natively or in a qemu-system-$arch chroot, but that results
in multiple snaps.

It's all just snapcraft work that needs to get done  :-)

I agree LD_LIBRARY_PATH should be set dynamically for multi-architecture
snaps.

> I would want to avoid having to rename binaries (eg by adding the arch
> suffix) and consider to create some arch based folder tree instead.

Seems right; perhaps this only has to be done for multi-arch snaps though

Cheers,
--
Loïc