Naming for the Ubuntu Download Manager interface

Mike Sheldon michael.sheldon at canonical.com
Wed Jan 18 13:47:41 UTC 2017

Hi all,

 Currently the interface for UDM (Ubuntu Download Manager) has been
named unity8-download-manager. It's my understanding that whilst we
might initially be bundling UDM within the unity8 snap to make the
first stages of development easier (e.g. so it can talk directly to
unity8's transfer indicator), the long term plan would be for it to be
available separately.

 Having UDM permanently tied to unity8 would seem to add a strong
disincentive for app developers to make use of it at all, as their apps
would then no-longer be portable across different desktop environments.

 As such, I'm wondering if the naming of this interface is perhaps
misleading?

Thanks,
 Mike