Experimental Python interpreter snap

Stuart Bishop stuart.bishop at canonical.com
Thu Feb 23 06:39:49 UTC 2017

On 22 February 2017 at 21:47, James Henstridge <james at jamesh.id.au> wrote:

> Yep.  So I think it probably makes most sense for the Python runtime
> snap to default to classic confinement so that it behaves as a user
> would expect for interactive/development work, with pip ready to
> install to ~/.local/lib/..., or to the system wide $SNAP_DATA folder
> if the user really wants to install things system wide.  This would
> seem to satisfy both use cases well.

If $SNAP_USER_DATA/lib was used instead of ~/.local/lib for 'user' pip
package installs, then the snap python and the system python will
coexist better (as there is no risk of snap python finding a package
built by system python and vice versa). I have no idea if
sitecustomize.py could do this though, and suspect it might involve
patching.

(do classic snaps actually have $SNAP_*DATA?)

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart.bishop at canonical.com>