Experimental Python interpreter snap

Stuart Bishop stuart.bishop at canonical.com
Tue Feb 21 12:53:31 UTC 2017

On 21 February 2017 at 18:35, James Henstridge
<james.henstridge at canonical.com> wrote:

>> You could probably also get the pip in your snap to install packages
>> to $SNAP_USER_DATA or $SNAP_DATA if run as root. Although most devs
>> would stick to using virtualenvs outside of the snap for this,
>> assuming a modern enough Python.
>
> With the snap as it stands, it is most useful as a runtime for other
> snaps rather than for interactive use or for development.  If you
> install my package with --devmode to disable confinement, it could be
> useful for development, but there isn't really an opportunity for a
> shared site-packages directory ($SNAP_DATA for the python snap won't
> be accessible to other snaps).

I think I was thinking that the main snap could use classic
confinement, allowing you to use it as the interpreter for scripts
located anywhere. And snaps using the interface would remain contained
as they are. Assuming we are allowed to mix interfaces and classic
confinement :)

But now I think on it further, its probably not a good idea to pollute
the main python snap when it is being used as a dependency.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart.bishop at canonical.com>