Unable to ssh to RPi3 after initial configuration of Ubuntu Core

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Sat Feb 4 11:00:26 UTC 2017

On 04/02/17 10:39, George Gundry 4D wrote:
> Yep, that worked - now I can start the REAL work ...

:)

Welcome aboard!

One piece of unsolicited advice, I hope it's helpful. Ubuntu Core is a
very tightly locked-down experience because it is designed for
deployments of millions of devices with automated updates and little to
no human involvement. It achieves that because every single piece of the
system is a snap, which means that every piece can be updated on
autopilot (because we can roll back too). But as a developer system, it
means that it feels like you are totally locked down when you are logged
into Ubuntu Core, because you are totally locked down.

So two things are really useful to learn quickly.

First, from a developer point of view thinking about how to publish your
software to the device, the best journey is to start playing with snaps
on a 'classic system', by which I mean a plain old Ubuntu desktop or
server or VM. Your snaps can start unconfined ('classic confinement')
and then evolve to live inside a rigorous security envelope, through
devmode and ultimately strict confinement. We even see people making
Ubuntu based devices that they plan to ship as classic (deb based)
systems where their own app is a classic snap, because that's the
fastest way for them to get into the market, and most familiar to their
developers. But once you have a strict snap, you can ship on Ubuntu
Core, and at scale that will dramatically reduce your operating costs in
the field.

Second, if you are on a pure-snap Ubuntu Core system, you can enable a
classic-style container. This is called 'classic mode' on a Core device,
and it lets you breathe a little if you have to do some work locally
(like building code or otherwise). Essentially it's like having a
special LXD container handy so you can work in a classic deb-based
environment that's 'local' to your Ubuntu Core device.

Enjoy,

Mark