Where to save stuff (in snap-agnostic way)

XiaoGuo Liu xiaoguo.liu at canonical.com
Sat Feb 4 02:47:32 UTC 2017

Hi Seth,

Thanks. You are right. I just created a new dir under the root, and I tried
to access it, and it was successful this time.

liuxg at liuxg:~/snappy/desktop$ sudo snap run --shell hello.env
[sudo] password for liuxg:
root at liuxg:/home/liuxg/snappy/desktop# cd /run/user/0/snap.hello
root at liuxg:/run/user/0/snap.hello# ls

Many thanks
Best regards,
XiaoGuo

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 10:40 AM, Seth Arnold <seth.arnold at canonical.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 04, 2017 at 10:33:20AM +0800, XiaoGuo Liu wrote:
> > liuxg at liuxg:~/snappy/desktop/ss$ hello.env | grep XDG_RUNTIME
> > XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000/snap.hello
> > $ sudo snap run --shell hello.env
> > # env | grep XDG_RUNTIME_DIR
> > XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/0/snap.hello
>
> Your first command was run as a standard user, probably the first user
> installed on the system, since it is user 1000.
>
> Your second command was run as root via the sudo tool, thus you get a
> different directory. Every user's data should be stored in a place where
> it won't collide with other users, and root is no different in this case.
>
> Thanks

XiaoGuo, Liu