Ubuntu Core 16 Feature Freeze

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 7 09:35:01 UTC 2016

hi,

Am Freitag, den 07.10.2016, 08:18 +0200 schrieb Didier Roche:

> > The images are available for PC (amd64, i386). Pi2/Pi3 and
> > Dragonboard
> > will follow shortly and can be found at:
> >
> >     http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-core/xenial/daily-preinstalled
> > /
> Note that the images are provided in .xz format (and suffixed with
> -beta3.img.xz). People need to unpack them first (for instance, with
> xzcat ubuntu-core-16-amd64-beta3.img.xz >
> ubuntu-core-16-amd64-beta3.img). Note that the .img image is
> approximately ~4G (with a lot of empty space to install your snap, no
> dynamic resize enabled on those yet).

we don't do dynamic resizing on VM images, only on real hardware, the
kvm/amd64 image is by default set to 4GB so you can work with it
directly and do not need to resize it yourself in a complex process,
this is on purpose.

> > These images are bootable, the PC image can be booted directly in
> > qemu-kvm or virtualbox. When running the images in qemu-kvm it is
> > helpful to use the "-redir" feature of qemu-kvm. E.g.:
> >
> >     $ kvm -m 1500 -redir tcp:10022::22 -redir tcp:14200::14200
> > ubuntu-core-16-amd64.img
> I was wondering if snapweb was listening to a different port

snapweb listens on 4200 which we redirect in the above command to the
hosts 14200 port (so we do not clash with a possibly running snapweb
snap on the hot machine). thus http://localhost:14200 is the correct
address for the above.

> >     $ ssh -p 10022 USER at localhost
> You didn't indicate the password here. I tried USER, ubuntu, blank,
> but
> doesn't seem to have any effect. Any hint? :)

the password is disabled by default, console-conf only pulls the ssh
key from your Ubuntu One account and puts it in place. to have a
console login you need to ssh into the machine once and run:

sudo passwd $USER

to set a password.

ciao
	oli