Ubuntu Core 16 Feature Freeze

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 7 06:18:16 UTC 2016

Le 07/10/2016 à 01:42, Michael Vogt a écrit :
> The Snappy team is happy to announce the Feature Freeze of Ubuntu Core
> 16, which means all the major features planned for the stable series
> 16 image have landed, and the upcoming weeks will consist exclusively
> of stabilization and polishing.

First, congrats on the release to the whole team. Really great to see
the progress and a fast, lean ubuntu-core image to try series 16 with a
defined set of features now \o/

I'm going to add some additional info after trying it.

> The images are available for PC (amd64, i386). Pi2/Pi3 and Dragonboard
> will follow shortly and can be found at:
>
>     http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-core/xenial/daily-preinstalled/

Note that the images are provided in .xz format (and suffixed with
-beta3.img.xz). People need to unpack them first (for instance, with
xzcat ubuntu-core-16-amd64-beta3.img.xz >
ubuntu-core-16-amd64-beta3.img). Note that the .img image is
approximately ~4G (with a lot of empty space to install your snap, no
dynamic resize enabled on those yet).

> These images are bootable, the PC image can be booted directly in
> qemu-kvm or virtualbox. When running the images in qemu-kvm it is
> helpful to use the "-redir" feature of qemu-kvm. E.g.:
>
>     $ kvm -m 1500 -redir tcp:10022::22 -redir tcp:14200::14200 ubuntu-core-16-amd64.img
I was wondering if snapweb was listening to a different port, but after
booting up the image, I saw that it was still listening on 4200. The
correct command is thus:

    $ kvm -m 1500 -redir tcp:10022::22 -redir tcp:4200::4200 ubuntu-core-16-amd64.img

> The message from console-conf is a bit misleading in this setup. It
> will say "ssh USER at 10.0.2.15". However due to the way that qemu-kvm
> user networking behaves, you will actually have to run the following
> to ssh into
> the images:
>
>     $ ssh -p 10022 USER at localhost
You didn't indicate the password here. I tried USER, ubuntu, blank, but
doesn't seem to have any effect. Any hint? :)

Note: as said above, the actual port is 4200, so http://localhost:4200

> After booting the image you can enter your Ubuntu One email and it
> will automatically create a matching user with the right ssh keys. If
> you do not have an Ubuntu SSO account yet you can create one at:
>
>     https://login.ubuntu.com/
This was already discussed on some bug report and known, but a note for
newcomers: the keyboard is qwerty only (I guess US layout?). So, it can
be quite an adventure to find the . and @ on other layouts ;)

Once you have done the initial email registration, this isn't an issue
anymore as you will ssh to the machine which will use your local
configuration.

> These images follow the "beta" channel. If you find any issues, please
> let us know via:
>
>     https://bugs.launchpad.net/snappy/
>
> Known issues:
>
> - The mounted media sharing support is still being finished, and will
>   be available for testing in an updated image in the next few days.
>
> - Some output during the boot process about failing to mount devices
>   like ram0. This is harmless and can be ignored.
>
> Enjoy the fresh images!
>

> Cheers,
>  Michael (on behalf of the Snappy team)

Good work Michael and the team! Thanks again :)

Cheers,
Didier