Symlink to snapcraft apps no longer working

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 14 09:39:09 UTC 2016

Le 11/11/2016 à 10:54, Martin Winter a écrit :
> Not sure when this (recently) changed.
>
> All apps as defined by a snap are prefixed with the snap name
>
> Ie, I have under apps a “vtysh” defined, which then ends up as
> quagga.vtysh (for the quagga snap).
>
> So far no issue.
>
> Now, a few weeks/months back, I was able to create a symlink
> with “vtysh” pointing to “quagga.vtysh” and then could use the same
> simple “vtysh” command to call the app. (same as traditional package
> installs)
>
> Link had to be done outside snap, but it allowed to keep all scripts
> unchanged.
>
> At the current snapd version (2.16ubuntu3), this does no longer work.
>
> all apps ends up as a symlink to the same /usr/bin/snap binary and
> somehow the
> binary seems to fail to call the correct app if there is another symlink
> used.
>
> Is there a way to get symlinks to still work as before?

Hey Martin,

I don't see what your issue is, nothing has changed and this isn't
linked at all to snapd but rather a traditional linux feature.

What commands are you running?
$ ln -s /snap/bin/gtk3-demo foo
$ ./foo
works here
$ ls -l foo
lrwxrwxrwx 1 didrocks didrocks 19 nov.  14 10:37 foo -> /snap/bin/gtk3-demo

As well.
Please provide debug output.

Cheers,
Didier