ANN: snapcraft 2.12 is no available

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 29 18:41:19 UTC 2016

\o/

"parts" are like "source libraries" for snaps. They let an upstream that
provides a library describe that in a part, which anybody can reuse just
by naming it. So, if you have a library that you want people to use in
snaps, for example a library that lets a snap talk to a cloud API for
data storage, then a part is what you want to publish :)

In my snap I can then just define my own local parts, referring to the
others are dependencies which will automatically be resolved and
retrieved and build.

We have noticed that in many cases, a part that builds a library from
source results in a much smaller snap than installing that same library
from primed packages.

Mark