Relocating snapcraft output directories

Kyle Fazzari kyle.fazzari at canonical.com
Fri Jun 3 15:05:35 UTC 2016

On 06/03/2016 09:21 AM, MikeB wrote:
> I work in a development environment where sources are kept on a
> filesystem that is automatically backed up fairly often and we place our
> build output/generated objects on fast build servers that are not backed
> up.  Having build output on the backed-up filesystem is very much
> discouraged.
>
> With snapcraft, I find myself keeping my snap directory on the build
> server and manually backing up my work-in-progress whenever I remember
> to do it.
>
> Also, for a similar reason, I feel that locating custom plugins in
> parts/plugins is unfortunate.  Other than parts/plugins, the parts
> directory only contains generated files.  It would be nice if the
> plugins directory could be located in a source area rather than a build
> output area.

I agree with this, it's not the most user-friendly to place the plugins.
It also makes the cleaning logic more fragile. I suspect it was put here
originally because "parts" was already a directory used by snapcraft;
we'll have to give some thought as to where such things should go.

> Would it be possible to enhance snapcraft to allow all generated objects
> - parts, stage, snap, and the generated snap to be located on a
> different filesystem?

This I'm not so sure about. There are ways you can accomplish this
without specific snapcraft support (I see Loïc mentioned a few).

--
Kyle Fazzari (kyrofa)
Software Engineer
kyle at canonical.com