Snap! Community weekly update: W26

David Callé david.calle at canonical.com
Mon Jul 4 18:51:51 UTC 2016

Here is an update on the highlights in the snap community for the past
week. We are releasing this one a bit late on schedule because we really
wanted to include an invitation for contributors in the community to the
Heidelberg snappy sprint, from july 18th to 22nd in Germany!

## Heidelberg sprint, 18-22 July

A face-to-face event this summer to meet and share your experience with
snap developers, early adopters and contributors. You are invited to
contribute shaping the future of snaps, plan the next features of snapd
and snapcraft along developers of leading open source projects, such as
Debian, KDE, MATE, etc. Learn more and apply for sponsorship
<https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/blog/2016/07/04/shaping-universal-snaps/>.

## Let’s Play Snapcraft

Alan Pope has launched a video series called "Let’s Play Snapcraft" and
it’s quite a treat. In this first video, Alan is snapping OpenTTD, the
Transport Tycoon Deluxe open remake. It’s 20 minutes long and covers the
basics of Snapcraft,enjoy <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0IzxsIFjJY>!

## Playpen

  * The Playpen is steadily growing and now containsexamples for 32
    snaps <https://github.com/ubuntu/snappy-playpen>
  * We have started anUpstreaming
    <https://github.com/ubuntu/snappy-playpen/wiki/Upstreaming>wiki
    page, with guidelines to get snaps to production quality and submit
    them to upstreams that have not started on their own snaps.
  * Thenext Playpen is tomorrow
    <https://daniel.holba.ch/blog/2016/06/snappy-playpen-event-next-tuesday/>,
    we will continue our documentation effort and start working on the
    upstreaming aspect of it
  * Some snaps from the Playpen are starting to use theGTK/Qt desktop
    helpers <https://github.com/ubuntu/snapcraft-desktop-helpers>created
    by Didier Roche, that take care of integrating themes, icons, and
    much more in your desktop snaps. Stay tuned for more on this topic!

If you are having issues while making snaps, check if they are
referenced on the newKnown issues
<https://github.com/ubuntu/snappy-playpen/wiki/Known-issues>wiki page,
and make sure you come talk to experimented snappers onthe Snappy
Playpen chat <https://gitter.im/ubuntu/snappy-playpen>.

## Community highlights

  * The shout out of the week goes to Zack Casey! In the span of a few
    days, this fantastic snapper has landedBlender
    <https://uappexplorer.com/app/blender-tpaw.tpaw>,Electrum
    <https://uappexplorer.com/app/electrum-tpaw.tpaw>(bitcoin wallet)
    andLiteIDE <https://uappexplorer.com/app/liteide-tpaw.tpaw>(Go IDE)
    in the store. This is simply amazing and we are looking forward to
    his next snap!
  * Brian Douglass hasenabled snaps distribution
    <http://blog.bhdouglass.com/openstore/web/2016/06/26/the-open-snap-store.html>through
    the OpenStore, an alternative app store initially targeted at Ubuntu
    phones and tablets. If you are looking for alternative ways of
    playing with the system, this is a great starting point.
  * Popescu Sorin is making demos of snaps running in Unity8 (as well as
    other bleeding edge things). Here is a video of theBlender
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8aAU_Eh_x0>snap, with its
    dedicated X window completely confined since Unity8 itself is
    running on Mir.
  * Daniel Wood createda CAD app
    <https://plus.google.com/+DanielWood/posts/cVF4hLr5E59>for
    the#ConvergeMePlease
    <https://insights.ubuntu.com/2016/06/01/still-and-rigid-or-adaptable-tell-us-about-your-app/?utm_source=ubunteu&utm_medium=url_shortner&utm_term=IBg9TK&utm_campaign=shortner>contest
    distributed as a snap

## Reading list

  * The Snapcraft Parts Ecosystem
    <http://blog.sergiusens.org/posts/The-Snapcraft-Parts-Ecosystem/>,
    in-depth introduction to an important new feature in Snapcraft 2.12
    by Sergio Schvezov
  * Snapcraft 2.12: an ecosystem of parts, qmake and gulp
    <https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/blog/2016/06/29/snapcraft-212/>,
    the Snapcraft 2.12 release log with examples
  * All MongoDB releases, everywhere
    <http://blog.labix.org/2016/06/30/all-mongodb-releases-everywhere>,
    do you like MongoDB? Do you like being able to test and run several
    versions, including bleeding edge features? Gustavo Niemeyer got you
    covered
  * On writing my first snaps, and keeping my passwords secure
    everywhere <http://elopio.net/blog/first-snaps/>, KeepassX and kpcli
    have been snapped, here is how, a great write up by Leo Arias
  * snap try: The quick way to package snaps
    <http://www.linuxuk.org/post/snap_try/>, Jamie Bennett introduces
    you to `snap try`, the easiest way to turn a snap directory into an
    mounted, editable, snap
  * SwitchDev in Ubuntu-Core? Yes Please!
    <https://www.lucaswilliams.net/index.php/2016/06/29/switchdev-in-ubuntu-core-yes-please/>,
    a follow-up on custom kernel snapping by Lucas Williams

This is a list of news we are compiling weekly, but make sure you
subscribe to the following social channels for daily updates:twitter
<https://twitter.com/snapcraftio>,google+
<https://plus.google.com/+SnapcraftIo>,facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/snapcraftio>.

Cheers,