Shaping up universal snaps

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 4 16:28:00 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Here is a call for participation those of us who have been involved in were
really looking forward to publish :)

Following the announcement of snaps being supported across a range of key
Linux distributions [1], the development teams working on snaps and
Snapcraft are making universal snaps one of the main topics of their next
sprint in Heidelberg, Germany, from 18-22 July.

Snappy sprints are face-to-face events where multiple teams working on snap
technologies, including Ubuntu founder Mark Shuttleworth, get together to
plan, design and develop their next release and longer term roadmap. After
the initial positive reception amongst initial adopters, tech media and
wider open source community, continuous improvement of the snap user and
developer experience is a major focus.

A number of upstreams, contributors and developers of leading open source
projects such as Debian, Elementary OS, Fedora, KDE, Kubuntu, MATE or
VLC have already confirmed participation at the sprint to collaborate on
better distro-agnostic snap support.

At this point, we'd like to extend this invitation to contributors of other
projects to influence the roadmap and work together on shaping up the
universal snaps story. If you are interested in participating, we have a
limited amount of seats to financially sponsor travel and accommodation for
contributors of upstreams, distros or desktop projects who are willing to
actively work towards this goal.

If the answer is yes, feel free to apply for participation and sponsorship
to the Heidelberg snappy sprint:

>> http://goo.gl/forms/yfGXoK8Aqv0TEiMJ3

Please note that a sprint is not a tech conference: it is a set of focused
working and planning sessions where the snappy Engineering team execute
work items and plan the next iteration of snapd and Snapcraft. Attendees
will be expected to actively participate in discussions and decision making
and be willing to take work items where appropriate.

Also do note that while all contributions are valuable, we have a limited
capacity to sponsor participants and we cannot support everyone. As such,
sponsorship will be subject to review and final confirmation. Once the
requests are in, we will review all of the applicants and contact you as
soon as possible to let you know if your request for sponsorship has been
approved.

It will be a great chance to build together app distribution across
platforms and we’ll be looking forward to working with you!

[1]
https://insights.ubuntu.com/2016/06/14/universal-snap-packages-launch-on-multiple-linux-distros

Source:
http://developer.ubuntu.com/en/blog/2016/07/04/shaping-universal-snaps