Snappy + root encryption

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 23 11:21:53 UTC 2016

Hi Xavier

With snaps on classic (deb-based) Linux there have been some bugs
related to encrypted home directories, not sure if those are fixed yet
but they are definitely in progress.

On Ubuntu Core (where the whole system is a collection of snaps, there
are no debs by default) it should be possible to have an encrypted disk.
The main question would be what your expectations of the boot process
would be. Most people who want Ubuntu Core are doing so for distributed
devices where there isn't going to be a human around if the machine reboots.

Mark