godeps plugin enhancement... maybe?

Ian Booth ian.booth at canonical.com
Tue Aug 9 05:46:59 UTC 2016

Hi folks

Firstly, thanks for the recent godeps plugin.

I'd like to be able to control where the git checkout goes, or better just snap
from source. When the pull step runs, it places all the source into
<snapcraft-dir>/parts/juju/go/src

It takes a loooong time to checkout everything and then run godeps, especially
when godeps runs to pull all the dependencies one by one.

I'd love to be able to have the plugin be able to use an existing source tree in
my gopath which I have checked out and already pulled dependencies for (ie the
place where I work with my IDE). That way my workflow could be to hack on my
code locally, and then build the snap directly from source on disk; godeps will
just skip over almost all the dependencies since they already exist.

I can see that snapcraft supports source types of git, bzr, hg, svn, tar, or zip.
I really want a source type of "file" and I give it a directory like
~/projects/juju/go/src

The above would be used in lieu of <snapcraft-dir>/parts/juju/go/src

By having a source type of "file", the git pull step would not be required and
my local development workflow would be much better and faster - hack in my IDE,
build snap, test etc.

Is there a way to do that now that I am not aware of, or is this a "patches
accepted" thing?