Plural in Javanese language

chris mastanto xmastanto at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 21 06:24:52 BST 2006

Hi Danilo & Jordi,

  I agree with Danilo approach to have two plural forms, one for zero and one for all the rest - including negative number. That is enough.

  Regards,

  Chris

Danilo Å egan <danilo at canonical.com> wrote:
  Hi Chris, Jordi,

I see this is still unresolved, so let me push it a bit.

On August 30th, Jordi Mallach wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 10:45:09PM -0700, chris mastanto wrote:
>> If you put number before nouns, you don't have to write nouns twice.
>> e.g. 2 kids = 2 bocah, not 2 bocah-bocah.
>>
>> Zero is not considered as plural. Zero means nothing so you can't put simply
>> put zero and nouns.
>> e.g. 0 kid = no kid at all = ora ono bocah
>
> So to be very sure:
>
> is "0 bocah" incorrect? How do programs represent "0 bytes" in Javanese?
> Can't you use the number in this case?
>
> And then, it's 1 bocah, 2 bocah, 3 bocah, 4 bocah..., when using
> numbers?
>
> If so, this would mean there's only one plural form in Javanese.

If it actually means that we need one plural form for zero ("ora ono
bocah"), and another for all the rest ("%d bocah"), then I'll add that
information to our database.

Chris, can you please clarify so we can enable plural forms
translation to Javanese?

Cheers,
Danilo