Derivative language support

Steven McCoy steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Thu Sep 21 12:51:52 BST 2006

>  In short, we don't handle it yet. We really want to, though.
>
>  https://features.launchpad.net/products/rosetta/+spec/similar-languages
>  is our spec to get this done.

I would like suggest Rosetta also incorporate some form of automatic
translation, especially for Chinese support.  Wikipedia has an automated
convert for all varients of Chinese (zh_TW, zh_HK, zh_SG), and the Gnome
Hong Kong translation team appear to use a script for automated
conversion of zh_TW to zh_HK.

Currently the Gnome Project has a good conversion rate for zh_TW and
zh_HK but for Ubuntu Dapper it is very minimal.  Is there a good way of
improving this without the manual overhead cost, even with the
assistance of a Greasemonkey script?

For example to try to move forward a bit how about a web service to
Rosetta so that a Chinese translataor could download all the zh_TW .po
files, run through the automated conversion script, and re-upload as
zh_HK?  The alternative would be a script to scrape the results from the
Rosetta website instead.  Will Canonical be ok with that?

--
Steven McCoy