Ubuntu 6.10 "Edgy" now available for translation

Jannick Kuhr jannick.kuhr at kdemail.net
Sat Sep 2 10:37:54 BST 2006

Am Samstag, 2. September 2006 12:53 schrieb Ilya Petrov:
> What about russian amarok template (
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/edgy/+source/amarok/+pots/amarok/ru/)
> ?
>
> Rosetta says that it is 100% translated but this can`t be true because
> the last update was 2006-06-17 ( before 1.4.2 release ).

To be honest, I have the impression that the import of upstream translations
only works for the official KDE distribution, but not for the many other KDE
apps. Yesterday I went through the german templates an found some other
issues like that:

No import of KOffice's translations [1]
No import of Ktorrent's translations [2]
No import of Katapult's transaltions [3]

And I just posted a bug about amarok... [4]

Please check and confirm these bugs if possible.

Like I pointed out some days ago, bugs like these cause a fork of (K)Ubuntu's
translation from the translation of all other distributions. If someone
starts to translate for example the missing strings in Ktorrent, these won't
be actualised by the upstream ones never again. They are marked as "New in
Rosetta" and the upstream transalation is only a suggestion. I don't think we
really want this behaviour.

If we switched this - upstream included and Rosetta's translations as a
sugestion - someone has to look if the Rosetta translation is really better
than upstream's. This would prevent forking without quality improvement and
it would be very easy to inform upstream about the changed strings. Just copy
and paste the strings you have just taken from the suggestion to a mail.

Please think about it.

Kind regards: Jannick

[1] https://launchpad.net/bugs/58526
[2] https://launchpad.net/bugs/58168