Improving Rosetta's relation with upstream translation teams

TG tefera at mekuria.com
Sun Oct 8 13:48:27 BST 2006

Hi
When i read this message i was expecting some change in Rosetta that
would make easier for translation teams to distinguish between
experienced translators and beginners.

"...The way we first designed Rosetta, it had no distinction between
people who wanted to suggest translations for a language, and
experienced translators for a project. This led to large teams of
translators with highly varied skill levels. We have since fixed
this..."

But I do not see any fix, and I I missed it please point me to it.

Barring beginners or inexperienced translators from being members of
the translation team is hardly a solution. Especially for languages
that yet to have a well developed computer language which is probably
more than 90% of all languages. Volunteers have to be encouraged and
trained. The present system makes it difficult for translators to
fallow up and discourages new comers.

One of the biggest advantages of Rosetta is for volunteers to come by
and try out on their spare time. This would encourage them to get
involved. But if they are brushed off from membership until they
become prolific translators it would completely put them off. And many
languages do not have that luxury.

I don't know how difficult it is. But the best way to help teams
organize them selves well and insure the quality of translation is to
give Rosetta a feature where administrators can grade translators and
accordingly grant permissions.

cheers