Carlos Perelló Marín carlos.perello at canonical.com
Thu Oct 27 04:54:32 CDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 20:58 +0200, Clément Stenac wrote:
> Hello,

Hi

> Could you please import VLC templates into Rosetta ?

Sure, please, follow the procedure defined at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RosettaFAQ section "Translation process" point

> Rosetta currently features some templates from Ubuntu but they are
> outdated.

Not really, those templates are exactly the ones we have in those Ubuntu
releases, we deliver translation updates so we cannot update them as
they should be in sync with the source code.

> Up-to-date upstream templates can be found in upstream SVN at
> svn://svn.videolan.org/vlc/trunk/po

Please, request an import directly for those as defined in the previous
link I gave you.

> I also have a question: I discovered that some of the translations have
> been updated by some translators using Rosetta.
>
> We (VLC upstream) were not aware of these modifications, that would have
> been lost ("forked" ?).

They are not lost, we use them with Ubuntu, we ask the translators to
work with upstream so upstream (you) get those updates too but sometimes
it does not happen.

> How is the workflow supposed to work with Rosetta ? I haven't really
> understood this. VLC can't currently be imported in HCT because of a
> bug in HCT, but how would that work if it was ? Would the templates
> available on Rosetta be automatically synchronized on VLC's SVN ?
> Ie, when the VLC templates are updated or when a VLC translator (who
> does not yet use Rosetta) commits to SVN, would it be synced in Rosetta.

We are not yet integrated with HCT and bazaar but you can read more at
https://wiki.launchpad.canonical.com/RosettaTranslatesBranch the spec is
not finished but you can track the status there.

The idea is that once we have the imports using bazaar, we will create a
new branch with translations where we will commit the updates from
Rosetta so you could get them with a simple branch merge.

Please, feel free to suggest any improvement or new feature to make your
life easier.

Cheers.

--
Carlos Perelló Marín