Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Thu Oct 20 05:11:14 CDT 2005

John Chapdelaine wrote:

> Hello I would like to help as much as I can in translating. I am
> canadian and only speak english and a bit of cree. Would cree be a
> needed language?

Yes, if there are communities of people for whom that is their mother
tongue. Translating free software into Cree would mean they could use
those tools easily and of course free of charge, and help create IT
skills in the community. You'll need to tell us how Cree deals with
plural forms. For example, if you have the sentence "There are X cars on
the parking lot." in English, you need two "forms": "There is 1 car on
the parting lot." and "There are N cars on the parking lot.". How many
forms would you need in Cree? And for which numbers of N?