Jonathan Carter jonathan at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 13 00:59:13 CST 2005

Hi rosetta-users

A local open source news service in South Africa wants to know more
about the Afrikaans translations happening in Rosetta.

I'd like to run some of my answer by here, so that it can be checked for
consitency and accuracy. Grammer checking would also be much appreciated :)

1. One of the questions is "What's the purpose of having an
ubuntu-specific translation project?"

A: Ubuntu contributions are fed back upstream, this means that, when you
translate a piece of software (such as OpenOffice.org or GNOME) into
your language, that it will be contributed into the upstream
OpenOffice.org and GNOME projects, which means that the translations
will be available for any system that uses this software, including
other Linux distributions such as Red Hat and SUSE, and even other
operating systems such as MacOS, Windows, Solaris and FreeBSD.

(if anyone can expand on this, that would be great too, I also want to
do a bit of exlaining on what Rosetta is)

2. A tougher question is, "Is there an overlap with existing translation
projects such as translate.org, or are they complementary? Will you be
feeding back to or working with other projects?"

I must admit, it's something I've wondered about too. Not sure if
translate.org submits upstream as well though... I think I'll contact
them and ask.

I'll send an article to the article once it's available, which should be
in a week or so, I just want to make sure that it's done right first.

-Jonathan