David Farning dfarning at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 12 16:05:51 CST 2005

One of the remaining problem areas in using rosetta to translate firefox
is the fact the moz2po creates an individual .po for each .dtd
or .properties file in the mozilla tree.  This, as I understand it, is a
problem because launchpad uses one .po file per application.

I have been looking at the source code of the translation tools (moz2po
and po2moz) for the feasibility of creating a single large .po directly
form moz2po.

Currently moz2po chugs recursively through the mozilla tree looking
for .dtd or properties files. When one is found a new file of the same
name with with .po appended is created in the po tree.

It looks pretty straight forward modify the source to append a chunk to
an existing .big.po instead of creating a new file in the output(po)
tree.

I have not worked very much with rosetta yet.  I am wondering if anyone
see any obvious short comings to this approach.

For example:

Will rosetta blow up if a .po file has two matching msgids?

thanks
-dtf