hello

Carlos Perelló Marín carlos.perello at canonical.com
Thu Jul 7 03:48:49 CDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 23:41 +0600, ||svaksha|| wrote:

Hi

> Thanks, Mark !
>
> On 7/5/05, Mark Shuttleworth <mark at canonical.com> wrote:
>
> > Welcome, Svaksha! The best place to start is in Rosetta.
> >
> >    https://launchpad.ubuntu.com/distros/ubuntu/hoary/+translations
> >
> > It would be good to setup an Ubuntu translation team for each of those
> > languages, and add you to it.
>
> some packages already have a few Indian languages like hindi, marathi,
> punjabi, tamil, bengali, malayalam, etc.. listed.
>
> https://launchpad.ubuntu.com/distros/ubuntu/hoary/+sources/gaim/+pots/gaim/
> https://launchpad.ubuntu.com/distros/ubuntu/hoary/+sources/gaim/+pots/gaim/hi/+translate

That's because upstream has already a team translating into that
language.

You should coordinate with them so your work is reused by upstream. That
means talk with them so they now you are going to work on that
translation, use Rosetta to translate, export your translation as a .po
file and send it to them so they store your translation and it's used by
any other distribution not only by Ubuntu.

> however  they have "Permissions:  Closed".  In that case how does one
> join a particular team ?

To translate for Ubuntu, we requiere that you join/create a translation
team for the language you are interested on.

Here you have our current translation team list:
https://launchpad.ubuntu.com/rosetta/groups/ubuntu-translators/

Just request to join any of them. Just in case the team you are
interested on does not exists, just send me an email requesting the
language team you want to create and I will add it for you.

You don't need to join any team to translate, you can use Rosetta
anyway, but you depend on any member of the team to activate your
translation so it's used by the applications in Hoary.

> > All you'll need is a web browser, and an understanding of the way
> > translation works in software! If you have further questions, this is
> > the list.
>
> i have libpango1.0 (ver1.6.0b) for layout and rendering and
> libpango1.0 common (ver1.6.0b) modules and config files.
> Is that the right library package for displaying Devanagari scripts ?
> Do i need to download any fonts or are they installed in the system.
> I noticed that Applications>Accessories>CharacterMap does have the
> support but how can i use it with gedit.
> Are indic script glyphs supported in OO-1.1 (i use Ubuntu 4.10).

My knowledge about all that is a bit limited...

I think that if CharacterMap has support for the characters you want,
gedit would let you use them without major problems as long as you
select that font from its preferences.

Daf, any extra help here?

Cheers.

--