translating quickguide - thoughts post hoary

matthew.east at breathe.com matthew.east at breathe.com
Tue Apr 12 08:19:38 CDT 2005

I've reinserted ubuntu-doc into CC for this message.

The thing that worried me the most when starting this thread was that the
only translation that we pulled out of Rosetta for the Hoary release (de)
had some problems when we converted it to xml, due to (i think?) a different
type of character set. I also noted that the quickguide didn't make it into
Rosetta (is there a problem with it?)

For these reasons I was asking about whether Rosetta is the best way to
continue translation of docteam documentation (obviously it has many
advantages, the primary one being that many people can work on it at the
same time without difficulties with coordination). Can we work out a way to
solve these problems? Is it possible to insert the larger of the docteam
documents into Rosetta, and were the problems that we experiences caused by
our po. generation methods/ xml generation methods?

As for screenshots, I think that since it is very difficult to get a way of
uploading these to Rosetta, it is not exactly a problem for the docteam to
install language packs and take the screenshots in the relevant languages. I
don't think that would require too much work on our part.

Matt