Announcing Ubuntu Language Teams

Matthew East matthew.east at breathe.com
Fri Apr 1 15:30:19 CST 2005

Thanks very much for that quick response Dafydd!

Il giorno ven, 01/04/2005 alle 22.18 +0100, Dafydd Harries ha scritto:

> > 1) What is the justification for having separate ubuntu-translators and
> > rosetta-users mailing lists?
>
> ubuntu-translators is for people who are interested in translating
> Ubuntu, whether through Rosetta or not.
>
> rosetta-users is for people who are interested in using Rosetta, whether
> for translating Ubuntu or not.

Slightly confused about this: isn't this an rosetta at ubuntu list?

> > 2) As already pointed out by one user, there are multiples of languages
> > which will cause a lot of confusion. Examples are Italian, Italian
> > (Italy), Italy (Switzerland), French, French (France), French
> > (Switzerland) etc... How are we to deal with this.
>
> We are aware of this problem. We don't like having bugs in Rosetta any
> more than our users do, but there are only so many hours in the day, so
> we have to prioritise how we spend our time, and this is one of the
> issues which we haven't been able to deal with yet.

> > 3) The documentation under the hoary category is extremely difficult to
> > categorise. First, it does not appear to be in any sort of logical
> > order. More worryingly, some of the documents (such as the ubuntu
> > quickguide and aboutubuntu notes from the docteam) appear twice. How are
> > we to deal with this?
>
> Suggestions for improving how we display information are welcome. In
> order to make sure that your ideas are not forgotten, please record them
> in Malone.
>
> https://launchpad.ubuntu.com/malone/products/rosetta

I am happy to do this for both problems 2) and 3) with a view to working
towards a good system for future releases.

However, I think it is important for us to remember that hoary is due to
be released next week. I've noticed that about-ubuntu in rosetta has
already been translated into German, and is nearly translated into
German (Germany). Hopefully the translator will not begin working on the
duplicate of the same document, but if so, there will be 4 copies of
this document. Is there anything that can be done about this situation
as an emergency measure? The system that we have been doing since the
docteam froze these documents is translating them manually and returning
them to the document svn repository to be built later. Is it worth
considering continuing this system to ensure that these translations get
into hoary in time for release?

thanks,

Matt