.po uploading problems

Carlos Perelló Marín carlos.perello at canonical.com
Thu Dec 30 08:33:57 CST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 21:50 +0100, Valient Gough wrote:

Hi

> I've been looking into ways to make working with Rosetta easier as a
> maintainer.

Cool

> Rosetta is really setup with translators in mind, which is great
> because it can get more people involved in helping with translations,
> but it is a bit rough at the edges for a maintainer.

Yeah, we are looking at that issue so we improve the maintainer use case
as much as possible.

> Here is a small Perl script I made for downloading all .PO files from
> Rosetta for a given project:
> http://arg0.net/users/vgough/rosetta-download.pl

We are working already on such feature so you could just download a tar
or zip file with all translations.

> My current workflow is to keep the .po translation files stored within
> revision control on my system along with the source code for the
> project.  Before releases, I can download the .po files and import
> them as a new vendor branch, which allows me to track changes made
> through Rosetta's interface (so I can examine them for errors) vs.
> changes I've made locally (previous fixes to adjust newlines,
> space/tab formatting, and printf characters).  This means that Rosetta
> does not contain the final .po files which will ship, and in fact may
> contain .po files with serious errors (like printf formatting
> characters missing or incorrect).

As I said, we are working on improve that so translators are not able to
introduce bad format strings.

> I have tried uploading fixed .po files into rosetta, but the results
> are a bit strange.  After uploading, it appeared that nothing had
> happened, but now (a few hours later) when I download, I see lots of
> message strings have been added which are commented out with "#~".  In
> a single .po file, diff reports 181 lines different from what I
> uploaded to what I pulled back down.  I am listed as the last
> contributor for that file, so there should be no differences at all.

Hmmm, it sounds like a bug, Please, could you open it at
https://launchpad.ubuntu.com ?

Cheers.