MOTU Application for Benjamin Drung

Benjamin Drung bdrung at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 3 16:45:31 BST 2009

Am Donnerstag, den 03.09.2009, 10:12 -0500 schrieb Richard JOHNSON:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 07:14:39PM +0200, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I apply for MOTU. I've added myself to the agenda for the MOTU Council's
> > 27th August meeting.
>
> Can you list some of the issues you see with packaging Eclipse and how they
> can be fixed?

The biggest issue was building eclipse from source. Thanks to
eclipse-build it will be easier now. Having a small debian/rules file
will improve the maintenance and it will lower the barrier for new
eclipse packagers. We will try to reduce the rules file to "ant" and
"ant install". Currently there is no "ant install". We will need to
write it and send it upstream.

One issue is to split up the used libraries. Java developers tend to
bundle everything. So it will not be easy.

> How can packaging Eclipse be made more efficient, seeing as
> it has been a long time since the last update?

First working with eclipse-build (there are lots of Fedora guys) and
second get in contact with upstream and become influence over upstream.

> What do you think about the current policies and practices behind merges
> and syncs, could they be made better, and if so how?

They are good, but there is one thing I like to see improved: The
possibility to do a sync by yourself (maybe only for unchanged
packages). This will reduce the work for archive admins.

It would be good if "patch" and the vcs patch tools can handle merging
the debian/changelog file.

Cheers,
Benjamin