MOTU application for Alessio Treglia (quadrispro)

Luca Falavigna dktrkranz at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 20 00:23:18 GMT 2009

James Westby ha scritto:
> The first was https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/317682. There was
> absolutely nothing wrong with the merge as far as I could see. However,
> I asked some questions when I saw it. For instance, do we need to
> remove that documentation in Ubuntu? Would it be better to minimise
> the diff to Debian, or keep the documentation for our users? Is it
> worth spending time on merging that change?

IIRC, Ubuntu considers GFDL free while Debian has some concerns about
it. I didn't look at debian-legal to see the real issue with GFDL, so I
could be wrong here.

Anyway, removing offending code doesn't produce side effects because it
wasn't touched by build process at all and ghc6-doc package didn't
change its content.

The only drawback of this merge is we have to transition some packages
depending on ghc6, most of them have already been uploaded in Debian, so
we should just limit to file some sync requests.

What about if ghc6 was in sync with Debian and we were before DIF? This
would have been autosynced and no-one would have noticed, so I think
re-adding removed code is not the good way here because we have to carry
this delta basically forever with no advantages.

> I do not wish to block Alessio's application, but I wanted to outline
> my concerns, and to ask the advocates how they came to trust Alessio's
> decision making? I'm sure Alessio will be good MOTU, but I'm not quite
> sure he is ready to not have his decisions checked before upload. I'm
> quite willing to be told I am wrong though.

Italian LoCo has a "developers' team" which gathers italian MOTUs and
contributors willing to improve Ubuntu experience by uploading packages.
We meet in #ubuntu-it-dev, where we talk about Ubuntu development and
try to teach one another packaging tips and suggestions. We grew up
together and we achieved one of our goals because several people are now
Ubuntu developers and Debian maintainers.

Our contributors usually ask questions in our channel, discuss about
changes to be made in a given package and then provide a debdiff for
review once they are ready for a final review by an Ubuntu developer.
Alessio followed this road too, he asks questions in our channel and
receives suggestions on how to proceed if unsure. I answered several of
his questions and I feel I can trust his decision making because I know
he will look for a peer review if not definitely sure about a fix, I
know this because it's how he always behaved so far.

Regards,

- --
 . ''`.      Luca Falavigna
 : :'  :  Ubuntu MOTU Developer