Core Developer application for Michael Casadevall (NCommander/sonicmctails)

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Tue Jan 6 15:53:33 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 06 January 2009 10:04, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Steve Kowalik schrieb:
> > Two months is not a lot of time between MOTU and core-dev! Going from
> > creating patches and adding them to bugs to preparing uploads is not
> > something you can do in just one night! Furthermore, members of core-dev
> > are seen as senior members of the community, and you can't get that kind
> > of reputation in just two months.
> >
> > A recent example is kde4bindings on ARM -- yes, you completed the work,
> > and I'll certainly agree it's impressive -- but the journey you took to
> > get a working upload was a long one, which involved multiple people,
> > multiple times, due to silly mistakes and you not being 100% careful,
> > which shows me that you aren't ready yet.
>
> Thanks for sharing this experience, Steve. I was not aware of what
> happened in this case.
>
> Michael is an exceptional contributor to the project and I'd appreciate
> more feedback from sponsors about their experience with Michael.
>
> We don't necessarily need to dissect old mistakes (that everybody does
> during their 'MOTU carreer', before and afterwards) in this thread, but
> sponsors: please speak up if you think that Michael would benefit from
> waiting a few weeks before re-applying or if you feel otherwise.

We all make mistakes.  In the armel/kde4bindings case it was a very
compilcated problem and I think the key is not that he had some mistakes, but
that he stuck with it and got it right.

I think he's ready now.

Note that since he's applied, he's also become a Debian Developer, which
speaks further for his technical competence.

Scott K