Universe Contributors Application for Michael Casadevall (NCommander/sonicmctails)

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 5 15:47:16 BST 2008

Hello,

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 12:51 AM, Michael Casadevall
<sonicmctails at gmail.com>wrote:

> To the MOTU Council,
>
> I'm writing today to apply for Ubuntu Universe Contributor's status,

<snip>

I'm excited to give a full endorsement to Michael's Ubuntu Universe
Contributor application. Michael demonstrates a strong, functional
understanding of the purposes, objectives, practices and procedures of the
MOTU. Michael's harmonious and cooperative spirit coupled with his high
energy and vitality in performing daily responsibilities would make me think
hard if forced to choose between this contributor and losing my right arm.

Michael has been intrinsically valuable to the Xubuntu Team having the
ability to perform a wide variety of assignments and handle ambiguity and
challenge with a "can do" attitude. Michael demonstrates strong personal
effectiveness and his willingness to work late hours to get the job done has
not gone unnoticed. I'm very happy to have welcomed Michael to our team and
am excited to see him fluidly working with other team members, Debian, and
Xfce4 developers.

I believe Michael is on the right track to becoming a MOTU. Michael views
problems as opportunities and I'm sure that he sees the "problem" of having
to wait a little bit for that MOTUship (as I understand we usually look to
see contributions span over a few releases)  as simply another opportunity.
My only concern is that Michael's current impressive pace of contribution
may be unrealistic to sustain resulting in burn out. Furthermore, Michael
would also benefit sometimes from slowing down to avoid smaller mistakes - a
problem not uncommon to newer contributors.

To conclude, I feel that Michael has the potential to become a key member of
our community and provide broad organizational support in many areas. I
encourage my fellow MOTU to take the time to invest in Michael to help him
fully actualize that potential.

I move that the MOTU Council grant Michael's application. Big +1 from me.

--
Cody A.W. Somerville
Software Systems Release Engineer
Email: cody.somerville at canonical.com