Upload permission for Romain Francoise for 'emacs-snapshot'

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 4 08:03:56 BST 2008

Charliej wrote:
> Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
>
>> Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>>
>>> He has shown technical competence by:
>>>  - being a DD
>>>  - maintaining an public debian archive on his own machines
>>>  - uploading updated package to the ~ubuntu-elisp PPA.
>>>

>> That very strongly qualifies someone technically.
>>

>>> As for ubuntu policy and procedure competence, I think he is qualified because
>>>  - he knows the importance of freezes from the debian drill
>>>  - he asked me on his own for freeze guidelines
>>>  - I have educated him with the relevant freeze links to the ubuntu wiki
>>>

>> This is new ground for us, and that's a good thing! I'm not asking
>> just to be difficult, but because Romain is the first non-MOTU or
>> non-Canonical person where we are looking at this. Being Canonical
>> isn't really relevant except that such a person would be surrounded by
>> folks steeped in Ubuntu-ness :-). So, thanks Romain for catalyzing
>> this discussion!
>>
>> I think we should ask the MOTU Council and Tech Board to comment, and
>> see what sort of guidelines they would like to establish for someone
>> who is clearly technically competent (a DD and/or an upstream in the
>> relevant package) to participate in a specific package in Ubuntu.
>>
>> Mark
>>
> So just to clarify, an upstream author can apply for per-package upload
> rights even though they are not a DD, MOTU or UUC?

They can apply, and we should consider it. For example, what if they
have had a lot of uploads sponsored? That would suggest they know the
packaging of this code very well, and are familiar with Ubuntu
processes, they just aren't the generalist you need to be to become MOTU.

We'll soon have all packages in bzr, so people can branch them, and we
can control commit access to the primary branch separately from upload
rights, so a second option will soon be to give that person commit to
the branch but not upload to the package. That way, they can commit, and
it will be uploaded when an uploader pulls the trigger (but presumably
after a review!).

Mark