motu-release will revert libgems-ruby to the old state.

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Wed Sep 3 11:32:54 BST 2008

I dropped all the old text for this response as I couldn't see a single best
message to reply to and I didn't want this to seem directed at any
individual.

The motu-release/motu-uvf have been doing things that seemed generally
sensible towards having a high quality Universe release beyond approving
exceptions for quite some time.  While the particular action wasn't one that
had needed to be taken before, I don't find it particularly conceptually
novel.

If you will look, you will find that in Feisty we released with Universe
packages still building and so the final package version can vary per
architecture because there was no coordination of the end game of the release
for Universe.  Starting with Gutsy, this is no longer true.

For Gutsy and Hardy (and I expect Intrepid unless someone decides because
there is no written rule we aren't permitted to do anything)
motu-uvf/motu-release coordinated with ubuntu-release, developed schedules,
and deadlines and issued them to MOTU for when uploads needed to be finished
and approved individual uploads in the last day or two before the archive
froze (these were clearly not UVFe/FFe) in the interests of having a
consistent archive at release.

Scott K