Ubuntu Core Developer application for Dustin Kirkland (kirkland)

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at canonical.com
Mon Oct 27 20:52:44 GMT 2008

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 11:42 PM, Emmet Hikory <persia at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>    Could you share how your experience as MOTU has helped you in your
> path towards Core Developer?

Hi Emmet-

I've been a MOTU since 2008-08-23, so only about 2 months, and during
that time, the Ubuntu has been mostly frozen against heavy activity,
with Feature Freeze, UI Freeze, and Beta Freeze.

In any case, I was able to mentor the Landscape development team on
some packaging issues with landscape-client and landscape-sysinfo.  I
was able to sponsor their changes to those packages until they were
moved to Main.

In conjunction with that effort, I created a new package from scratch,
update-motd, in order to provide specifically the landscape-sysinfo
package some needed functionality, but more generally make this same
functionality available across the Ubuntu distribution.  Again, I was
able to upload my own changes to update-motd until it, too, was
promoted to Main.

In both cases, my position as a MOTU allowed me to inform, educate,
and assist other Ubuntu contributors, and sponsor our changes
immediately and more efficiently.

Additionally, I was able to package and upload a new package to Ubuntu
Universe, a pet project of mine and a web application that I wrote and
have used for years: musica.

As per a request on motu-mentoring-reception, I have begun mentoring
Mike Owens.   I have guided him in packaging two new utilities for
Ubuntu Universe (bogosec, conmux).  He should be uploading those to
REVU very shortly, for some further peer review and exposure.  I would
certainly expect my responsibilities as a 'mentor' to increase as both
a Core Developer and MOTU.

In summary, MOTU has provided me an opportunity to create and upload
some new packages to Universe, as well as mentor and sponsor
contributions from other aspiring developers.  I believe that, coupled
with the work I've done across Main and Universe (83 packages uploaded
in Intrepid [1]), hopefully makes me a viable candidate for an Ubuntu
Core Developer.

[1] http://thc.emanuele-gentili.com/utu/utu_intrepid.php

--
:-Dustin