Franchise and polity for endorsements sent to MOTU Council

Emmet Hikory persia at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 27 04:14:15 GMT 2008

Christophe Sauthier wrote:
<...>
> As I am not a MOTU, but am I a u-u-c myself, I am not that I can give
> my opinion or not, but in the doubt I will (wearing my MOTU Mentoring
> Reception Coordinator hat on).
<...>
> and that is why I am happy to give him my +1  :)

    MOTU Council doesn't typically look at endorsements as a voting
process as such, but rather statements by known members of the
community in favour or in criticism of the applicant.  While not a
strict rule, the general guideline is that endorsements should come
from those with whom one works closely, regardless of their relative
status.  For applications for membership, endorsements by current
Ubuntu members carry slightly more weight.  For applications for MOTU,
endorsements by current MOTU carry more weight.  For applications to
core-dev, endorsements by current core-dev carry more weight.

    That said, while we wish to confirm that current members of a team
consider applicants to that team as peers, and welcome them,
endorsements from those working closely with an applicant, but who are
themselves not members of the team to which the applicant aspires, are
also encouraged, to provide a more complete picture of the
contribution to the common effort.

    None of the above should discourage questions to the applicant :
if you have a question or concern about any applicant, please ask it,
as this also helps build a clearer picture of the application.

--
Emmet HIKORY