Core Developer Application for Richard Johnson (nixternal)

Stefan Potyra sistpoty at ubuntu.com
Fri May 23 23:12:01 BST 2008

Hi,

Am Freitag 23 Mai 2008 22:23:05 schrieb Richard A. Johnson:
> Hello everyone!
>
> Please accept this email as my application to become an Ubuntu Core
> Developer.
[..]

> My number one interest in this community is obviously Kubuntu development
> (you could probably tell that by a majority of my sponsors). My number one
> goal has always been to make Kubuntu the best KDE based distribution
> available.
[..]

Yay. Even though I haven't sponsored anything for you (at least not that I can
recall currently), I fully support your intention to make Kubuntu rock even
more!

I won't have any komments about kde4 right now (and particularly not that I
tried it and it felt like Vista :P), but I'd rather like to take this
opportunity to ask you a few questions about Kubuntu in general, which I
always wanted to know so far:

S.th., that was/is very hard for me, is to track down which KDE package a bug
relates to. How do you manage this? Is there some
kuideline/readme/documentation about this? (e.g. what package might cause bug
#188385).

I'm also kurious: I assume that KDE packages recieve a large number of bugs.
How do you manage to triage these?

Finally, for my two pet bugs, #188385 (again) and (though it's not much of a
problem right now) #75416. My believe is that these are absolutely
non-trivial bugs to be found in the source (which might even be caused by
race-conditions).
How do you intent to address/fix bugs that are filed like this, i.e. w.o. too
much information how to reproduce these, w.o. too much klue who/what might be
the evildoer and for the first one probably w.o. even being listed against
the right package?

Also in this kontext: How do you manage to kope with upstreams bug tracker
(I've tried to search/file a bug once, but to no avail *g*).

Finally, as I've dared to take a look at the source kode of (very few) parts
of KDE so far:
kdebase konsole/konsole/konsole.cpp +43 kontains an interesting komment:
"konsole/kwin session management, parts stuff, config, menues  are all in bad
need for a complete[sic] rewrite."
(and imho there was a komment stating that this was valid for konsole in
general in earlier days, but I'm not too sure).
Is all that KDE kode in such a state? Do you believe (though as I wrote I have
seen only very few pieces of the puzzle), that KDE code is generally not of a
very high quality? If so, have you looked at procmail yet? *g*.

And the very last question from me:
As you're a member of MC, have you any kuestions regarding my kore-dev
application? *g*.

Kreetings,
   Stefan.

P.S.: Read/answer this with a krain of salt, I'm a happy user of Kubuntu and
am very glad that it works so well for me :).

P.P.S: [sic]: of kourse the korrect spelling is komplete :).