Ubuntu Contributor Applications.

Andrea Gasparini gaspa at yattaweb.it
Mon Jul 28 14:19:47 BST 2008

Hi,
I'm Andrea Gasparini [1], please consider my application to become an
Ubuntu Universe Contributor.

I'm a developer who in his spare time likes to play with packaging, to hack
his ubuntu notepad, and to read a lot.
I really like Linux systems, programming with python, studying low-level
stuff ( it happened that i wrote some device driver in my jobtime ).

I'm actually involved in ubuntu-quality team, for which i'm working on some
script and tools about [2].
I'm active also on italian community, mostly helping other people doing
merges and syncs, handle patches and packaging.
As contributing to Debian is contributing to Ubuntu, I decided to request
my "new packages"[3] go through Debian sponsorship process. I feel this is
a quite longer process respect ubuntu revu, but in this way I'm really
growning a lot.
I always tried to keep up relations between Ubuntu,Debian and upstream,
reporting patches when possible, and maintain contact with upstream to
verify bugs.

The first months I got time to make some merge/sync, to learn packaging,
and the most funny thing i did for ubuntu: patching usplash for handling
timeouts on char inputs. This was reviewed and modified [and fixed
<cough> ] by Martin in order to have usplash handle fsck inside itself.
Perhaps I was not of fundamental importance, but I surely help, and it
amused me too much. :)
Now, i've not such time ( I've now a one year daughter ), and so i'm
focusing on what I really like: -quality and python scripting, as said.
I'm not filing and fixing the same number of bug as in Hardy, but i'm
trying to understand better all of the ubuntu processes (lastly nbs and
archives management), and instead of making merge and sync I'm trying to
keep in good shape packages that I already uploaded.

My first purpose for the future is going to holida..aehm ^W...to use my
tools in order to report more and more patches to Debian, and to close
some NBS tasks.
That done, i want to improve myself in -qa stuff, that includes improving
in fixing bugs, both in importance and number.

All I did is 'just for fun', I'm interested mainly in learning, learning,
and more learning...and I feel Ubuntu development will be a great source.

Some of my sponsors are in CC and I really want to thanks them for
help and feedbacks:
 Martin Pitt
 Cesare Tirabassi
 Luca Falavigna
 Andrea Colangelo

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Gaspa2
[2] https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~gaspa/+junk/ubuntu_qa_tools
    results on: http://iogaspa.altervista.org/nbs/reversenbs.xml

Thanks for taking care in this application!
--
- Andrea Gasparini -