MOTU Application for Fabien Tassin (fta)

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Mon Aug 25 17:30:58 BST 2008

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:19:28 +0200 Alexander Sack <asac at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 09:59:12AM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>>
>> Yes, but people on other teams not so tightly tied to the Gnome desktop
get
>> these objections, so why should mozillateam be special?
>>
>> This isn't personal.  As you say, I've no idea either way, but if it
isn't
>> important to be part of the MOTU community, then it should be
consistently
>> not important.
>

>The mozillateam is a vital part of the MOTU community. Its just that we
>have our own IRC channel. Here a few things we do within the realm of the
>MOTU ecosystem:
>
> + we maintain universe packages
>
> + we review all packages and contributions to mozilla related
> packages (well we might miss one here and there, but we will never
> turn anyone down who asks us to review anything (in launchpad or on
> revu)).
>
> + we offer help to all MOTUs or ubuntu contributors that need help
> with their mozilla related packages.
>
> + we mentor MOTU applicants
>
> + we try to get easy entry level tasks out - like packaging
> extensions that allow fresh-blood to do their initial steps.

This is all good, but pretty consistent with the way other major teams
perform in their domains.  People have been rejected iin the past for not
working on enough different packages and one was just nearly rejected due
to not having a sufficient fraction of his uploads be for Universe packages.

I hear you, but believe that given past practice fta's application should
receive very close scrutiny and he shouldn't get a pass because he works on
a team that provides an important set of packages for the desktop.

Scott K