Considering component-specific work when reviewing applications

Jordan Mantha laserjock at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 19 21:57:29 BST 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Michael Bienia <michael at vorlon.ping.de> wrote:
> On 2008-08-19 20:51:20 +0200, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>> Michael Bienia <michael at vorlon.ping.de> writes:
<snip>
> Or to put it an other way: what makes a person a "MOTU"?
> - is it the membership in the ~motu team (and it's a coincidence that
>  the team has upload rights)
> - or is it the upload rights to universe/multiverse (which are granted
>  by being a member of ~motu)

I think it's basically both indistinguishable from each other. A
person can have great technical skills (like say a Debian Developer)
and that doesn't give them an automatic MOTUship, primarily because
MOTU involves both upload rights and a correct understanding of
Universe policies and relationship with the Universe community. It's
these last two bits that are relevant to this thread. What concerns me
about granting MOTUship to people who don't do any significant work in
Universe or contribute to the Universe community (in #ubuntu-motu or
on the mailing list) is that the difference between Universe and Main
is often more than just which LP access team you're in. There are
sometimes subtle but significant policy differences. There are
noticeable cultural differences as well.

> Perhaps I see a difference where no exists, but it depends on how one
> defines "being a MOTU". And I currently don't know which view is correct
> (if there is a correct view), perhaps it's like the "wave–particle
> duality" of a photon.

/me <3 photons  ;-)

-Jordan