MOTU Application for kirkland [Was Re: Universe Contributors application for Dustin Kirkland (kirkland)]

Dustin Kirkland dustin.kirkland at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 21:35:16 BST 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Cesare Tirabassi <norsetto at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Well, what do you think we (Ubuntu) should do then:
>
> 1) Keep the package as is
> 2) Make all the necessary changes so that at least its not half-broken
> 3) Keep updating it ourselves if Debian doesn't
> 4) Remove it from the archive

Full Disclosure: I have been an upstream contributor to LTP (the Linux
Test Project) since April 2003.

For all of its faults (not the least of which includes more than a few
RH-ism's), the LTP is hands-down, the most comprehensive suite of
tests for Linux, and thus it should not be removed from the archive.

The package does have problems and upstream (mostly IBM and Red Hat)
are *extremely* active, and thus it cannot remain as is.

I suggest a combination of (2) and (3), while (5) Establishing a
better relationship with the LTP itself, upstream of Debian.

Upstream is open to taking the changes we're required to carry in
Ubuntu, such as this one that I pushed, solving several bashism's:
 * https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1908313&group_id=3382&atid=303382

Additionally, LTP maintains a mailing list where they invite distros
and others to publish the results of regular runs of LTP.  We could
really participate in this program.

:-Dustin