MOTU Application for kirkland [Was Re: Universe Contributors application for Dustin Kirkland (kirkland)]

Dustin Kirkland dustin.kirkland at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 18:39:41 BST 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 6:29 AM, Emmet Hikory <persia at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>    Also, reviewing the packages page, there appears to be only two
> packages that were uploaded to universe.

I respectfully disagree.  I have worked with considerably more than
two packages in Universe.

In my experience, the packages page in Launchpad is both buggy and lossy.

For that reason, I keep track of the packages I touch and bugs I fix,
as best I can, in my wiki page:
 * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DustinKirkland

I also used a Custom Google Search, on my name, and filtered by
clicking on "Packages" and "Code":
 * http://people.ubuntu.com/~kirkland/search.html?cx=003883529982892832976%3Aly2fmeg302s&cof=FORID%3A9&q=dustin+kirkland&sa=Search

= Universe Packages Touched =

== The following are packages there were in Universe, but were
promoted to Main within the last 2 weeks ==

I have contributed tremendously to the upstream ecryptfs-utils
project, adding functionality, and fixing bugs.  I have guided
_each_and_every_one_of_those_changes_ into the ecryptfs-utils,
opencryptoki, trousers, and pkcs11-helper packages, ALL of which lived
in Universe until two weeks ago when they were promoted to main.  This
has required an extremely active relationship with Ubuntu MOTU
sponsors, the Debian maintainer, as well as the project upstream of
Debian.

 * ecryptfs-utils:
  * Multiple uploads - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ecryptfs-utils
 * opencryptoki- https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/opencryptoki

== The following are Universe packages listed on my
https://launchpad.net/~kirkland/+related-software page ==

Perhaps these are the only two uploads you noticed?
 * bip - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bip
 * xchat - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xchat

== The following is a package that I uploaded to Universe, but
Launchpad's package page has dropped ==
 * ltp - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ltp

== The following are packages in Universe that I have created from scratch ==

I created a meta-package for Ubuntu Virtualization from scratch.  This
is intended to make setting up an Ubuntu virtualization server, and an
ubuntu virtualization management server easier.  I intend on being
active with these packages, making it easier to set up virtual
networking and bridges among the server and its virtual machines.

 * ubuntu-virt - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-virt
  * Created these meta-packages from scratch
   * ubuntu-virt-server
   * ubuntu-virt-mgmt

== The following are packages in my PPA and in REVU, that I have
created from scratch, and are awaiting promotion to Universe ==

I am upstream for both of these, and intend to actively contribute.

 * update-motd - http://revu.ubuntuwire.com/details.py?package=update-motd
 * musica - http://revu.ubuntuwire.com/details.py?package=musica

== The following are universe packages for which my contributions were
dropped by the sponsor in changelog ==

 * audacious - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/audacious
 * sbuild - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sbuild

----

> It was pointed out to me that approving someone for MOTU based on
> technical ability but with so little contribution to universe would
> set a new precedent

I hope that the above data shows that I have performed more work on
packages in Universe than perhaps you previously considered?

----

> which may significantly alter the perception of
> the threshold that must be met in terms of familiarity with a variety
> of packaging techniques to be considered MOTU.

I should hope that my packaging expertise and ability are displayed by
work with packages in both Main and Universe.  The fundamental
packaging procedures are common between the two.

For this reason, I would like to mention the packages in Main for
which my contributions have been sponsored.

I understand that this is of marginal benefit to my MOTU application,
but I do hope that it demonstrates my technical competence at Debian
packaging, and my overall zest for the Ubuntu community.

Additionally, please consider that these contributions do in fact
affect any package in Universe depending on them, as well as the
additional scrutiny required for changes to packages in Main.

 * apache2 - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apache2
 * at - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/at
 * bind9 - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bind9 (changes
absorbed, uncredited by sponsor)
 * cron - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cron
 * debianutils - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/debianutils
 * dovecot - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dovecot
 * gnome-system-tools - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-system-tools
 * grub - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub
 * hplip - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hplip (changes
absorbed, uncredited by sponsor)
 * libnss-ldap - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libnss-ldap
 * lsb - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lsb
 * openssh - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openssh
 * openssl - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openssl (changes
absorbed, uncredited by sponsor)
 * pam - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pam
 * php5 - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/php5 (giant, PITA
merge, multiple times)
 * postgresql-common -
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/postgresql-common (changes
absorbed, uncredited by sponsor)
 * rsync - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rsync
 * samba - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba
 * squid - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/squid
 * sysklogd - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sysklogd
 * sysvinit - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sysvinit
 * virt-manager - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/virt-manager
 * usplash - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usplash
 * yaboot-installer - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/yaboot-installer

> Given your focus and
> documented history, you may find that an application for Ubuntu Core
> Developer would be more suited to match your work.

I will most certainly apply for Ubuntu Core Developer in due time.

>  That said, if you
> wish to be MOTU, we'd welcome you, but do please become more involved
> with MOTU and MOTU activities.

I honestly believe that I have considerable skill and expertise to
offer the MOTU community, and a genuine interest in MOTU activites,
improving the breadth and depth of Universe packages, if you will have
me.

:-Dustin