MOTU Application for kirkland [Was Re: Universe Contributors application for Dustin Kirkland (kirkland)]

Emmet Hikory persia at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 14 13:11:47 BST 2008

Emmet Hikory wrote:
> Dustin Kirkland  wrote:
>>> This is my application to become a MOTU.  I would like to be a MOTU
>>> in order to help mentor other new contributors and to continue to
>>> raise the Ubuntu Server as a stable, secure, and functionally-advanced
>>> server platform.
>
>    +1 from me based on strong sponsor comments and fairly impressive
> technical work.
<...>
>    Also, reviewing the packages page, there appears to be only two
> packages that were uploaded to universe.

    It was pointed out to me that approving someone for MOTU based on
technical ability but with so little contribution to universe would
set a new precedent, which may significantly alter the perception of
the threshold that must be met in terms of familiarity with a variety
of packaging techniques to be considered MOTU.  Despite the frequent
work done in feeding changes back to Debian, I have been convinced to
retract my vote of confidence, and rather vote merely +0.

>  Are you sure that being MOTU
> will benefit you in your work in Ubuntu?  Given your focus and
> documented history, you may find that an application for Ubuntu Core
> Developer would be more suited to match your work.  That said, if you
> wish to be MOTU, we'd welcome you, but do please become more involved
> with MOTU and MOTU activities.  Alternately, if this is not your plan,
> please withdraw this request, and apply to be an Ubuntu Core
> Developer.

    This invitation remains, as the work that I have seen, from direct
uploads, participatory uploads (as one of several named in the
changelog), and patches sent to Debian do indicate a strong technical
ability, and there appears to be a much stronger level of integration
with the Ubuntu Server team and Ubuntu Core Developers generally than
with the MOTU team.

    My apologies for the disappointment this change may represent.

--
Emmet HIKORY