Universe Contributors application for Dustin Kirkland (kirkland)

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at canonical.com
Mon Aug 4 23:50:08 BST 2008

Howdy MOTU Council-

This is my application to become an Ubuntu Universe Contributor.  I
would like to become a Universe Contributor in order to help mentor
other new contributors and to continue to raise the Ubuntu Server as a
stable, secure, and functionally-advanced server platform.

I've been a full-time Ubuntu developer for about 7 months, though I have
been a full-time Linux, Free, and Open Source Software developer for
over 5 years.  Most of my work involves Ubuntu Server and Security
projects.

Beyond the daily bug fixing, patching, and merging, I have also been
working on several areas of new development for Ubuntu, including:
 * Encrypting ~/Private directories
  * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EncryptedPrivateDirectory
 * Adding 'status' actions to init scripts
  * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InitScriptStatusActions
 * Booting degraded RAID
  * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BootDegradedRaid

I am particularly proud of the merges and functionality that I have
added to:
 * ecryptfs-utils (extensive support for private directories)
  * https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ecryptfs-utils
 * debianutils (per user editor selection)
  * https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/debianutils
 * lsb (status_of_proc() function for init script status)
  * https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lsb

I have also developed:
* The Ubuntu Manpage Repository:
  * http://ubuntu.dustinkirkland.com/search.py?title=man
* The Ubuntu Documentation Search for Developers:
  * http://people.ubuntu.com/~kirkland/search.html

More complete documentation of my Ubuntu contributions, past, present,
and future work efforts can be found at:
 * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DustinKirkland

I am CC'ing several sponsors with whom I've worked closely:
 * Bryce Harrington (bryce)
 * Jamie Strandboge (jdstrand)
 * Kees Cook (kees)
 * Martin Pitt (pitti)