Core-Dev Application: Till Kamppeter

Jordan Mantha mantha at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 16 17:25:49 BST 2008

Soren Hansen wrote:
> This is probably going to be somewhat controversial, but that's the way
> it goes sometimes.  I've had a bit of time to ponder this and it's been
> weighing on me.

Not controversial at all that I can see. :-)

<snip>
> I think it's reasonable to have a rule that says that we're not supposed
> to upload half-broken things to the archive, because in the case where
> someone does so without any intention of fixing it, I like to have
> something to point at when I'm telling them off. If, however, someone
> does so for benign reasons, and fixes it shortly after, I think you've
> got way too much time on your hands if you're decide to pursue that to
> any (un-)reasonable extent.

The issue, as I understand it, is not sitting around picking apart Till
for no reason (or because we have too much time on our hands). You have
to remember that this came up because Till is applying to become an
Ubuntu Core Developer. For me, it's about making sure that Till can be
reasonably expected to "do the right thing" in the future. I personally
feel like he can but there's not harm in having a discussion about past
mistakes. It's fine to have mistakes if people see what went wrong and
take action to correct it. We just don't want people who either don't
know or don't care.

In any case I do feel like we just need to have a vote by the MC and get
Till on his way. I know from experience it's aggravating to be waiting
on these applications for weeks.

-Jordan