Ubuntu Core Dev application for Jamie Strandboge

Jamie Strandboge jamie at canonical.com
Sat Apr 12 13:28:55 BST 2008

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, Stefan Potyra wrote:

> Hi,

Hi!

> Am Donnerstag 10 April 2008 23:23:03 schrieb Jamie Strandboge:
> [..]
> >
> > As an Ubuntu Security Engineer, my primary focus is providing security
> > updates for packages in main. I also sponsor universe updates and mentor
> > those providing security updates. Listed below are some highlights of
> > the contributions I've made so far.
>
> Out of interest, how would you rate the universe security team? What is good
> as it is now, and what do you think could need improvement?

The MOTU-Swat team is a small but dedicated team with lots of
enthusiasm. They do a lot of very much appreciated work. Considering how
small the team is and the number of packages in Universe, I'd say they
do a great job overall. Thanks MOTU-Swat!

To me, one of the most important things about performing a security
update is testing. I'm very interested in finding ways to encourage more
testing as well as peer-review on testing procedures within MOTU-Swat,
especially for people new to the process.

While more work needs to be done in this area, I have made sure to
discuss the importance of testing with people I sponsor and in
SecurityTeam meetings. I created README.testing in QA Regression
Testing[1] to help with this, and it has some techniques, tools and
checklists that people can use. I encourage all submitters to read it
and look through the other documentation and scripts contained therein.

Jamie

[1] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-bugcontrol/qa-regression-testing/master/files

--
Jamie Strandboge          | Ubuntu Security Engineer
IRC:  jdstrand            | http://www.ubuntu.com/