Core-Dev Application: Till Kamppeter

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 11:36:08 BST 2008

Stefan Potyra wrote:
> you describe this as a difficult packaging task. What in particular do you
> consider difficult here?

Problem of these packages was that they were not available as source code.

There were binary tarballs and for some packages even only binary RPM
and DEB packages. Extracting the file system tree from the DEbian
packages required a lot of manual correction of permissions.

Brother did not take into account that they can have customers who
connect more than one of their printers to the same machine. One could
not install two Brother driver packages onto the same machine as there
were equal files which were in all Brother packages. Here files had to
be compared, -common packages be created and symbolic links be added.

Brother published around 100 pairs of LPD and CUPS binary packages (one
pair for each printer model), in the Ubuntu packaging this was reduced
to maintainable 7 pairs.

Brother's packages install into /usr/local, with paths hardcoded into
binary-only executables. These had to be patched so that the Ubuntu
packages install into /usr.

Brother's packages contain world-writable files in the system area
(/usr/...). They got moved to /var/...

Brother's original packages are i386-only, I brought in the idea to
generate binary packages for both i386 and amd64, the amd64 version with
dependency on ia32-libs.

It is really much more packaging-friendly if manufacturers publish
properly free drivers or at least follow my design guidelines (where I
have added several items after the work with the Brother packages):

https://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/WritingAndPackagingPrinterDrivers

Brother developers, please have a look at HPLIP. Thanks.

> Also, I'm curious: Who gave the second ACK for the new package as required by
> MOTU policy for these packages?

It was Martin Pitt (pitti).

> Finally, the initially uploaded versions had severe packaging issues. What
> measures will you take, to avoid uploading packages with severe issues in the
> future?

We were shortly before feature freeze. We got in the first installable
packages really one day before. And as I wanted to acknowledge the great
work of these two volunteers (it is REALLY difficult to get volunteers
working on printing stuff) I simply have taken in these packages and
thought we will get them polished and correctly working in the bug
fixing period after the freeze.

If there had not been a freeze, I had done the polishing and bug fixing
work with them on their Launchpad PPAs (from where the users can also
access the packages for testing) and passed them to multiverse only now,
where the packages install cleanly and users report that their Brother
printers actually set up via Plug'n'Print and reproduce the user's
documents on paper, like HP printers do.

I would recommend to every contributor to use the Launchpad PPA to test
server-site building of packages on various architectures, apt-get
installation, automated updates, testing the packages by users who have
reported the lack of these packages ...

I have also rebuilt and installed the packages and reported problems
which the contributors quickly fixed. I only did not test actual
printing, as Brother never gave me a test printer.

The hurry to get the packages into Multiverse before the freeze worked
out. Now Hardy users are able to print with Brother's printers, and with
much less hassle than they had with Brother's original packages.
Especially also 64-bit users are also able to use the drivers.

    Till