MOTU Application

Julian Andres Klode jak at jak-linux.org
Mon Dec 17 20:08:55 GMT 2007

Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Monday 17 December 2007 09:08, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
>
>>> What are the policy differences between Ubuntu and Debian that make these
>>> continuing differences suitable for both distributions?
>> Sorry, but I do not understand your question! ("suitable"?)
>>
>>> Scott K
>
> Why do you need two different versions for Debian and Ubuntu?  What is it that
> limits you from having a common version for both?
Thank you for the explanation. I was confused by the word "suitable", which means "right or appropriate for a
particular purpose or occasion" (dictionary).

---------
ANSWER
---------

Examples:

gnome-app-install => Components / others.
------------------
Code for both distributions is in the same branch, but we need patches to enable the Debian part. lsb-release
was suggested, but some did not want to use it because of derivatives, which change the name from Ubuntu or
Debian to something else.

dir2ogg => Components
-------
Some packages (e.g. faad), which are available in Debian main are not available in universe. Therefore, they
can only be suggested and not recommended (AFAIK). There are also packages in Ubuntu which are not in Debian,
like alac-decoder, and I add these to the Recommends/Suggests.

aufs => Incompatible Kernel headers
-----
The aufs package in Debian would not compile with Ubuntu Kernel.

ndisgtk => Use of the MENU System
--------
In Debian, menu is used for almost everything. I used it for the desktop files. In Ubuntu, the relevant part
was replaced to drop the dependency on menu.