KLOC

Cemil Azizoglu cemil.azizoglu at canonical.com
Fri Dec 16 15:26:14 UTC 2016

One reason for large MPs is we combine multiple things in one MP. I'm
also guilty of that. This is often noticeable in the MP descriptions
of the form : "Implemented feature A, and cleaned up around that area
while I was at it". Ideally these should be broken up into multiple
MPs for a number of reasons :

- ease of review
- increased chance of spotting problematic code by the reviewers
- reverting would revert only the offending change, not the irrelevant parts

So let's not address multiple goals in one MP.

To go one step further, sometimes even reaching one goal can be broken
up into multiple steps. E.g. one can refactor certain parts of the
code in one MP in order to make addition of a certain feature easier,
which can be done in another MP. So when we're planning our changes,
we should try to break the work into logical steps to get there, and
MP each piece separately stacking them onto each other. Actually, we
do this most of the time, but let's be more proactive about it.

Thanks