[lubuntu-users] Lubumtu 19.10

Chris Guiver guiverc at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 01:00:09 UTC 2019

The base of any Ubuntu flavor is ubuntu, so some commands reflect
this, for example if I run `lsb_release -a` on my Lubuntu box, I get

guiverc at d960-ubu2:~$   lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        20.04
Codename:       focal

LSB is short for linux_standard_base; the -a tells it to display all
fields. It's something IBM wanted to GNU/Linux to have in hopes of
avoiding 1980s unix diversity problems long ago, most of us don't use
it thus the "No LSB modules are available" message is not a problem
(actually it's good, we're not wasting disk space with stuff we won't
use!)

The key to that is how my Lubuntu reports using that command, ie.
Ubuntu  (at it's core).

Lubuntu is the ubuntu base with a different desktop & software. Modern
Lubuntu (eg. my 20.04 development release version) uses LXQt same as
all Lubuntu 18.10 up use.  Legacy Lubuntu used LXDE, where the as the
default desktop for Ubuntu is now GNOME, but was Unity in 17.04 &
before (ie. our software is like a living system & changes occur).

If I use `neofetch`  (I'll copy/paste `neofetch --off` as the pretty
logo may not look very neat in your mail client)

guiverc at d960-ubu2:~$   neofetch --off
guiverc at d960-ubu2
-----------------
OS: Ubuntu Focal Fossa (development branch) x86_64
Host: OptiPlex 960
Kernel: 5.3.0-19-generic
Uptime: 1 day, 3 hours, 58 mins
Packages: 4407 (dpkg), 14 (snap)
Shell: bash 5.0.11
Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1080
DE: LXQt
WM: Openbox
WM Theme: Clearlooks
Theme: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
Icons: oxygen [GTK2/3]
Terminal: qterminal
Terminal Font: Monospace 12
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 (4) @ 2.667GHz
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series
Memory: 4407MiB / 7832MiB

You'll note my OS is reported as Ubuntu still, but DE (desktop)
reports as LXQt, as found in Lubuntu.  (some of the data for this
command is located in /etc/os-release , where
/var/log/installer/media-info will contain clues as to what
media/release you used to install your system

All Ubuntu releases are given a name, Bionic Beaver was for 18.04
(beaver the animal, 'bionic' the 'special' word used in packaging to
signify that release (the letter increments; though started again
after 'zesty zapus'/17.04 with 17.10/'artful aardvark')  18.10 was a
C, 19.04 an D, and 19.10 being Eoan Ermine (ermine the animal, 'eoan'
the 'special' word used in packaging).  You'll note many of us refer
to releases by 'special' name (why I added 'special') as whilst the
animals may be cute (for wallpapers etc), our sources use the
'special' word (18.04 is referred to as 'bionic' in
/etc/apt/sources.list)

If you're using 'bionic' you'll be on 18.04 (and legacy LXDE), though
Lubuntu 19.10 as per your heading refers to 'eoan' using the modern
LXQt desktop (where you'll find our current manual the most helpful -
http://manual.lubuntu.me/).

Chris